It’s that time again!
I was finding it really difficult to think about what word I was going to pick for 2019. The obvious one would have been something related to health but honestly I’m ready to not have 100% of my life focused on my health. Of course that’s always something that’s on my mind but 2018 was bombarded with it and it’s just enough, you know?
The last couple months I’ve been acutely aware of something I struggle with. It’s not something I’ve ever pinpointed as a weakness in my life previous to the past couple months. I struggle with committing to and finishing things. It’s typical of me to start something really strong and passionately and it’s uncommon for that commitment to last any large length of time. It’s beginning to be something that I lament and wish was different.
2019 is the year to COMMIT.
When I am about to embark on something – whatever it may be – I will be committing to see it to completion or commit to a specific length of time depending on the situation. Of course, as is the case every year with my One Little Word this will take on it’s own life but I look forward to seeing where it will take me. I am looking forward to the growth I’ll experience and the further insight into my inner workings.
On top of my One Little Word I’ve come up with a “Bucket List” of goals for the year. Today as I was driving home from an appointment I began to feel the pressure of a New Year. Being on social media there are a plethora of posts all about goals, resolutions, and hopes for the new year and all of them great. I tend to feel pulled to include everyone else’s goals in my goals because of course they seem like great ideas! However, I realized today that just because a goal is a good thing for someone doesn’t mean it’s a good thing for me in this moment. So, instead of adding to my list today like I was tempted to I left my list as it was last week when I wrote it. I’m going to enter 2019 with an overall intention to be the best I can be each day.
So with my One Little Word of COMMIT and my intention to be the best me I also hope to check each of these things off my list:
- Invest in hobbies – don’t be afraid to spend money on a hobby.
- Learn two new skills/hobbies – hoping for it to be sewing and pottery.
- Show gratitude and be generous in everything – keeping with my hope to be abundant minded.
- Invest in relationships – put myself out there instead of shy away from the commitment.
- Go away on a date weekend at least once – I hope twice.
- Do more exploring with the kids – mountains will be visited more often.
- Read a book a month – starting with Educated by Tara Westover.
- Transition to mostly plant based – been feeling this shift for the last 4-5 months.
- Invest in clothes – I have two pairs of jeans, a handful of layering tanks, a couple sweaters and that’s basically it apart from my pyjamas and sweats. It’s time to make this change. It will be largely ethically made or homemade clothing and I’m going to be checking off this list:
- 2 Jeans
- 2 Lounge pants
- 5 Tanks
- 2 Blouses
- 2 Casual Shirts
- 2 Long Sleeves
- 2 Sweaters
- 1 pair of runners
- 1 pair of sneakers
- 1 pair of Birkenstocks
- 1 pair of Rainboots
- 1 pair of Winter boots
- 1 pair of dressier shoes – I hope Poppy Barley
- Do one self care act a month – could be something I spend money on or could just be an afternoon away from the kids.
That’s it. I feel like I’m keeping it fairly simple and attainable – maybe I’m getting the hang of this!
Happy New Year friends. I pray that 2019 is everything you need it to be. If you are using a word or setting resolutions or goals I would love to hear them!